New Goldsmith's Mansion rises from the ashes of 2015 blaze
PUBLISHED: 13:28 03 December 2018 | UPDATED: 13:38 03 December 2018
Sudbury’s landmark Goldsmith’s Mansion has been formally re-opened, just three years after it was destroyed by a devastating fire.
It’s taken 14 months to reconstruct a new building from the ashes of the old structure in Market Hill, which dated back to the 1874.
The fire three years ago razed the original building to the ground and left 20 people homeless.
The new version, constructed by Rose Builders, opened on Saturday.
It has been owned by the Mattingly family since 1874 when Robert Mattingly bought the building as a gentleman’s outfitters. A total of 25 descendants of Mr Mattingly gathered there on Saturday to mark the handover of the new building, alongside Sudbury mayor Sue Ayres and members of the construction team.
The building is not an exact replica but Phil Branton, director at Wincer Kievenaar Architects, said some parts of of the original had been retained.
“We were keen to meet the wishes of the Mattingly family who wanted a replacement building that was traditional and echoed the appearance of the original structure,” he said.
“From our point of view, there is great satisfaction from seeing unique aspects of the previous building retained, such as the roundel which mimics the old, but with the current date and the original initials ‘RM’.
“Also, the façade uses bricks cast from the moulds of the old bricks reclaimed after the fire by Bulmer Brick & Tile.”
Roger Mattingly and Christina Manning, great grandchildren of Robert Mattingly, said they were delighted with the result.
“We wanted to ensure that the new building was in keeping with its setting in the town centre and retained its original characteristics, especially from the front,” they said.
“The result is more than we could have hoped for.”
Marketed by Fenn Wright and Boydens, the building, when completed at the end of December, will house a retail unit and six residential apartments for rent.